Del Puerto Health Care District is governed by a 5-member board of directors who are publicly elected to serve four-year terms. Board members must be residents within the boundaries of the District.
When a Directors leaves their seat before the term is concluded our Board of Directors’ Bylaws and CA State Law provide how vacancies are to be filled. Following is the recommended timeline:
CALENDAR FOR NOTICE AND APPOINTMENT
Immediately Notify Stanislaus County Board of Supervisors; Post Public Notice of Board Vacancy & Intent to Fill by Appointment (15 Days). Post Public Notice on District website
Immediately Submit Public Notice for publication in Patterson Irrigator.
3rd Week Close acceptance period (or extend if no letters of interest received)
4th Week Ad-hoc Committee reviews letters of interest and selects two proposed candidates to be invited to the next Board meeting
5th Week Proposed candidates presented and interviewed by full Board, appoint best candidate, administer Oath of Office, new Director assumes seat immediately
REMAINING TERM OF SEAT VACANT AS OF JUNE 7, 2019:
Per CA Government Code 1780 (h) (3): “If the vacancy occurs in the first half of a term of office and at least 130 days prior to the next general district election, the person appointed to fill the vacancy shall hold the office until the next general district election that is scheduled 130 or more days after the date the district board is notified of the vacancy, and thereafter until the person who is elected at that election to fill the vacancy has been qualified. The person elected to fill the vacancy shall hold office for the unexpired balance of the term of office.”
· Next general District Election November 3, 2020
· 130 days prior to election June 26, 2020
· The Board Appointee to the current vacant seat, whose term ends December 2022, shall hold office until the person elected on November 3, 2020 to fill the vacancy has been qualified.
NOVEMBER 6, 2020 GENERAL ELECTION:
The District will have the following seats open in the November election:
· One seat for remainder of the Director term ending December 2022 (see prior paragraph),
· Two terms end December 2020, therefore
· Three seats will be on the November 3, 2020 ballot.